The temperatures are dropping and the days are shortening. We need something to warm us from the inside out and nurture us. This Mulligatawny soup is the perfect comfort food: hearty, delicious and so good for you. It’s a whole meal in a bowl full of beneficial ingredients:
- BrothMasters Bone Broth
- Immunity: boosts your immune system, loaded with onion and garlic which are Anti-Viral and Anti-Bacterial
- Anti-inflammatory: glucosamine and chondroitins help maintain healthy joints
- Gut Health
- Hair + Skin: loaded with collagen for skin, hair, and bones.
- Sweet Potatoes
- An excellent source of Vitamin A, important for the immune system, normal vision, and reproduction.
- Vitamin A also helps the heart, lungs, kidneys, and other organs work properly.
- Anti-inflammatory properties and supports brain health.
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, or thighs and legs
- 2 cups sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 3 cups spinach
- 1/2 cup basmati rice rinsed
- 1/4 cup red lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 allspice berries whole
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 3 tsp cumin (it's best to pan roast cumin seeds dry until they just brown)
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- chili flakes
- 2 cups tomato passata-strained tomatoes
- 4 cups BrothMasters Bone Broth
- 1-2 cup water more if necessary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil or slightly less - this gives the soup a creaminess
- In a large pot heat up olive oil. When warm add all the spices, chopped garlic, onion and ginger and cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Move onions to the side, add chicken pieces – cook 4 min on each side.
- Add 1 cup BrothMasters Bone Broth, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, and another cup of broth, cover and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Add rice, lentil, passata and the rest of the broth, bring to a boil and cover. Simmer for 15 more minutes stirring often.
- Remove chicken and pull the meat from the bones. Place the pot back on
stove, add spinach. Cover and cook for 3 more minutes then add back in
the chicken pieces.