Happy New Year from our family to yours!
If you’re looking at 2022 as a fresh start for feeling better and supporting your immunity –– you might find these three studies as fascinating as we did.
Each study shows a nutrient in bone broth making a big difference in health and vitality.
We know you’re busy, so we’ll just summarize the important results, and link to the studies if you want to dig deeper!
Study #1: Hyaluronic Acid Relieves Knee Pain
Remember last month’s post about Sulfated GAGs –– the healing agents in bone broth that (sadly!) don’t get as much attention as collagen and glycine?
Well, one of the most powerful ones, that we haven’t covered yet, is Hyaluronic Acid, or HA. It’s a known anti-inflammatory, and a review of a dozen HA studies in The Nutrition Journal really showcases its capabilities.
Here’s what happened:
- Researchers analyzed 12 randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials (the gold standard for research) where patients with knee pain took oral HA.
- The length of time that the patients took HA varied from 2 weeks to 6 months. And the amounts ranged from as little as 48mg/day to as much as 240mg/day.
- In all 12 trials, the patients taking HA saw pain reduction, with phrases like “significant improvement of knee pain”, “significant improvement of knee stiffness”, “significant improvement of bone metabolism”, and so forth appearing frequently in the review.
These results are pretty incredible, and you can scroll to Table 1 in the review to see all 12 trials for yourself.
Our Chicken and Beef + Chicken bone broths both contain healthy concentrations of HA. Plus other Sulfated GAGs like Glucosamine and Chondroitin Sulfate that are highly anti-inflammatory in their own right!
Study #2: Hyaluronic Acid Relieves Crow’s Feet Wrinkles
As you might imagine, a nutrient as powerful as HA isn’t limited to just one type of healing.
Sure enough, a study published in Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology found that HA plumps up skin and reduces wrinkles, too!
These results are really promising because –– just like collagen –– our bodies make less HA as we age. But if we keep getting it into our bodies, we can keep reaping its benefits.
Here’s what happened:
- First, researchers found 60 Japanese volunteers (male and female) aged 22-59 who had crow’s feet wrinkles.
- Next, they gave some of these volunteers 120mg/day of HA, and gave the rest 120mg/day of a placebo.
- By the 8 week mark, the volunteers who’d been given HA showed “significantly diminished wrinkles.” And by week 12, skin luster and suppleness had improved for these volunteers as well. The placebo volunteers did not get these results.
It’s important to note that this study used oral HA specifically. And not skin cream. Creams will give your skin a temporary boost…but these results came from consuming HA for 12 weeks.
For those wondering: yes, there are HA supplements that you can take. But as we’ve covered already, nutrients are most active in food form, like bone broth! ;)
Study #3: Chicken Type II Collagen Fights Rheumatoid Arthritis
Part of our commitment to creating a true health and wellness broth is using pasture-raised chicken bones. And cooking them for 48 hours, to get as much collagen into your body as possible.
So you can imagine how happy we were to stumble upon this study in the journal Science, where Type II collagen from chicken showed almost unbelievable healing power against rheumatoid arthritis.
Here’s what happened:
- First, researchers gathered 60 patients with “severe, active” rheumatoid arthritis.
- Next, they fed chicken Type II collagen to some of the patients, while the rest were fed a placebo.
- 3 months later, the patients who got the chicken collagen had fewer swollen joints and fewer tender joints –– while four patients saw their rheumatoid arthritis completely go away. Meanwhile, the placebo patients did not heal at all.
Now we’re definitely not saying “drinking bone broth will cure rheumatoid arthritis.” This is just one study, and you can’t extrapolate four people’s results into anything beyond that.
The reason we share these studies is that all of us beat our bodies up to one degree or another.
Whether it’s working too hard, skimping on sleep, eating foods that diminish us, or even going through emotional trauma. Little by little, it all takes its toll.
We think everyone can use some regenerative nutrition to feel as healthy, vital, and ALIVE as they were meant to!
So go ahead: treat yourself to the best bone broth you can get ❤️
To a wonderful new year,
-Dorothy & Laya